According to the American College of Prosthodontics, more than 35 million American adults do not have any teeth, and 178 million adults in the U.S. are missing at least one tooth. When it comes to missing teeth, there are a number of options, but dental implants are the only solution that looks, feels and functions like real teeth. Here are some interesting facts about dental implants that you may not be aware of.
- Dental implants have an ancient history. The earliest ones can be traced back to around 600AD when pieces of shell were implanted into the jaws of a Mayan woman.
- Of all the tooth replacement solutions, dental implants have the highest success rate.
- Dental implants are made of titanium. The metal post bonds to the bone and replaces the missing tooth’s root, providing a durable foundation for replacement teeth or crowns.
- Dental implants cannot get cavities. But you still have to brush and floss and take care of your natural teeth and gums and implant supported teeth as normal.
- Because of their good support, dental implants actually preserve and stimulate natural bone in your jaws; keeping you looking younger.
- Because they are fused to your natural bone, dental implants make your jaw even stronger.
Here at Riverside Oral & Facial Surgery, we are dedicated to providing the best oral and facial skeletal surgery, facial cosmetic surgery, and facial skin care available in northwest Georgia. We take great pride in serving our patient’s needs using cutting-edge equipment and techniques. If you would like to know more about dental implants, contact us today.